Bryan Armen Graham
Tuesday October 11th, 2011

Mikkel Kessler sustained an injury to his right hand during training, forcing him to postpone his Nov. 5 fight with WBO super middleweight champion Robert Stieglitz.

Kessler (44-2, 33 KOs), a former two-time super middleweight champion, had been scheduled to fight Stieglitz in the first bout of Showtime's split-site telecast of the Lucien Bute-Glen Johnson fight in Quebec City.

Sauerland Promotions, which promotes Kessler, said the fight will be rescheduled for early 2012.

“This is a major disappointment for me,” Kessler said Tuesday in a release. “We've had a great preparation and I was in fantastic shape when I injured my right hand during a routine training session. The doctors advised me that it needs a rest and I can't fight on November 5.

"I am very sorry to keep my fans waiting. The good news is that the injury should heal quickly after a little break. I will rest my hand and then get back to training to be fit for Stieglitz early next year.”

The Nov. 5 telecast on Showtime will now feature the Bute-Johnson fight with no preliminary bout.

Kessler was one of the six original contestants in Showtime's Super Six super middleweight tournament. He lost his opening bout (and his WBA belt) to Andre Ward on a technical decision in 2009, but outpointed the previously unbeaten Carl Froch in the second fight of the group stage.

The 32-year-old Dane withdrew from the Super Six in August 2010, citing an eye injury suffered against Ward. He announced his comeback in May and defeated France's Mehdi Bouadla by sixth-round TKO in June.

-- Bryan Armen Graham

SI Apps
We've Got Apps Too
Get expert analysis, unrivaled access, and the award-winning storytelling only SI can provide - from Peter King, Tom Verducci, Lee Jenkins, Seth Davis, and more - delivered straight to you, along with up-to-the-minute news and live scores.