Rashad McCants says he has $310 million coming from NCAA, UNC
Former North Carolina basketball player Rashad McCants was unclear when asked during a recent radio appearance if he plans to meet with school officials after he accused the university of academic misconduct, and repeated that if people don't believe him, the investigators should look at other UNC athletes’ transcripts.
McCants appeared on SiriusXM Radio on Friday and again on Monday, joined in the latter appearance by UNC whistleblower Mary Willingham, and said that compensation is coming his way because he received a less than stellar education.
He told ESPN last month that he barely went to class, that tutors wrote his term papers and that he took bogus classes in order to stay eligible.
"The question is what are we talking about, honestly. I mean I have a check being written to me from the University of North Carolina for over $10 million due to the exploitation of me as a player and the lack of education that I received," McCants said, via the Charlotte Observer. "The NCAA has a check for me for over $300 million to help me facilitate these sports education programs across the country. These are things that’s in the works.”
The NCAA announced in late June it has reopened an academic fraud investigation into North Carolina due to "additional people with information and others who were previously uncooperative might be willing to speak with the enforcement staff."