Auburn coach Gus Malzahn: QB Nick Marshall won't start opener
Auburn quarterback Nick Marshall, who was cited by police for marijuana possession last month, will not start the Tigers' opener on Aug. 30 at home against Arkansas, head coach Gus Malzahn announced on Friday.
Malzahn, who declined to say how long Marshall will sit, also announced that cornerback Jonathon Mincy won't start. Mincy, a three-year starter, was arrested for marijuana possession in June.
Said Malzahn: "I will say this: Nick Marshall is still our quarterback and Jonathon Mincy is still our cornerback.
"Like I said before, my hope is this will help them in the future."
Marshall, a senior who last year threw for 1,976 yards with 26 touchdowns (14 passing, 12 rushing), led the Tigers to the SEC title and the BCS national championship game, where they lost to Florida State.
Jeremy Johnson, a 6-foot-5 sophomore, who had six touchdowns and two interceptions in six games last season, will start in Marshall's place.
Mincy had one interception and 14 pass deflections last season.
- Chris Mascaro