Winston has denied allegations of the December 2012 incident since they were first reported last November. Winston's attorney later said the sex was consensual. The family of the female involved released a statement in late November questioning the investigation.
According to Bogdanich, Florida State officials spent more than an hour interviewing the woman in August.
Last December, prosecutor William N. Meggs, said there was not enough evidence to charge Winston in the case. A New York Times report earlier this year revealed a number of missteps by the Tallahassee Police Department and university officials in their investigations of the events.
From The New York Times:
John Clune, the accuser’s lawyer, said Florida State has “assured us the proceeding would go forward, but what the time frame would be and what exactly that means we’ll have to wait and see.”
“There are some good people who want to do the right thing on one side of campus, then you have one of the most powerful athletic departments in the country on the other side of the campus with the No. 1 football team in the nation."
On Wednesday, FSU announced new initiatives the university plans to take to address sexual assault on its campus.
“Florida State University does not tolerate sexual violence,” Interim President Garnett S. Stokes said. “Even one case of sexual violence is too many. Colleges across the nation are looking at ways to better address this issue, and we want to do all that we can to help ensure that every member of our community has a safe, healthy and positive experience at FSU.”
Last season, Winston won the Heisman Trophy, which is given to an "outstanding college football player whose performance best exhibits the pursuit of excellence with integrity." Winston and Florida State won the national championship in January.
- Sarah Barshop