The attorney representing the alleged victim in the domestic battery case involving Florida State running back Karlos Williams has requested that police drop their investigation, according to the Tallahassee Democrat.
The attorney, Nathan Prince, said he has informally made the request already and will submit a formal request Tuesday. According to Prince, the alleged victim has not filed a criminal complaint, did not notify police or the university of an alleged incident and will not cooperate with investigators.
The alleged victim and Williams used to be a couple and lived together, Prince said, and had a child together with another on the way.
More from the Democrat:
"She doesn't want to make any comments on the facts of the case," Prince told the Democrat. "There aren't any witnesses that have provided testimony."
Prince said he believes someone alerted FSU and authorities after internet rumors started this weekend that Williams' girlfriend had been battered.
The Tallahassee Police Department had announced Monday that Williams was a suspect in an alleged domestic battery case that it was investigating. Later in the day, Florida State announced Williams' status on the team was under review until more information was received.
Williams, a senior, leads the Seminoles with 378 rushing yards and seven rushing touchdowns this season.
Tallahassee police have been criticized for their handling of criminal cases involving Florida State football players in the recent past. In a report earlier this month, The New York Times alleged that police and investigators have "soft-pedaled" allegations of wrongdoing by Florida State players because of their status on the football team.
The report noted the state's slowness in taking action on the rape allegation made against quarterback Jameis Winston in December 2012 and preferred treatment given to receiver Jesus Wilson in a theft case this summer.
- Ben Estes