Thursday April 9th, 2015

Former UAB football players will still hold a Sons of UAB alumni flag football spring game on Saturday even though the program was shut down in December, according to the Associated Press.

The school shut down the program amid financial concerns.

The alumni game was started last spring by head coach Bill Clark. Former players, alumni and supporters decided to still hold the game this year because they haven't given up hope on bringing back the program.

STAPLES: Could conferences drop divisions?

"Obviously there's a huge, somber cloud hanging over the university, really, over the whole football issue right now," said former Blazers kicker Lee Miller. "I think the vibe toward this event is positive, but there's always this undercurrent. The next question is, `How can we get the program back?' There's a lot of people out there, including me, that are trying to make that happen."

According to the AP, the game is expected to include players "from every step of UAB's football evolution over a quarter century, from club level starting in 1989 to Division I-A starting in 1996."

In January, Clark said he decided against coaching elsewhere during the 2015 season because he sees "a glimmer of hope" that the program could be restored.

• ​STAPLES: How will college football change over the next 10 years?

UAB announced earlier that month that a task force would be formed to review a financial report that led to the elimination of the football, bowling and rifle programs.

- Molly Geary

 

SI Apps
We've Got Apps Too
Get expert analysis, unrivaled access, and the award-winning storytelling only SI can provide - from Peter King, Tom Verducci, Lee Jenkins, Seth Davis, and more - delivered straight to you, along with up-to-the-minute news and live scores.