The college football season kicks off this week.
Can Ohio State make it back to the playoffs and repeat as national champions? Will the Pac-12 prove to be the nation's toughest conference once the games begin? And which team will become this year's Baylor or TCU—and left out of the playoff?
Before any of these questions can be answered, teams must figure out who will be leading them on the field. Lots of big-name programs will have new quarterbacks under center this off-season. And as the Buckeyes showed the country last season, even an unproven quarterback can carry a team all the way.
Here's a roundup of some notable starters heading into the season:
- Georgia has named Virginia transfer Greyson Lambert its starting quarterback.
- Florida State announced Everett Golson will start for the Seminoles.
- Texas A&M announced sophomore Kyle Allen will start at quarterback.
- The Oklahoma Sooners will start junior Baker Mayfield at quarterback, according to multiple reports.
- Texas will use both junior Tyrone Swoopes and redshirt freshman Jerrod Heard in the team's first game against Notre Dame.
- UCLA announced true freshman Josh Rosen will begin the season as the starter.
- LSU coach Les Miles said Brandon Harris leads the Tigers’ quarterback competition.
- Redshirt junior Alec Morris is leading the Alabama quarterback battle, reports AL.com
- Ole Miss announced Chad Kelly will start in the Rebels’ season opener.
- The Oregon Ducks will start transfer Vernon Adams against his former school Eastern Washington.
- The Florida Gators will use both Treon Harris and Will Grier in Week 1.
- South Carolina named redshirt Connor Mitch the starter.
- Oregon State will begin the season with a two-quarterback system, reports ESPN.
- Northwestern announced former four-star recruit Clayton Thorson will start Week 1.
- Boise State named redshirt sophomore Ryan Finley as the starting quarterback.
- Maryland named redshirt junior Perry Hills as the Week 1 starter.
- Kentucky named redshirt junior Patrick Towles as the Wildcats' starting quarterback.
- South Florida named sophomore Quinton Flowers starting quarterback, reports The Tampa Tribune.
- Tulsa named Dane Evans starting quarterback, reports Tulsa World.
- Colorado State named Nick Stevens as starting quarterback, reports The Denver Post.