Derrick Henry becomes 17th player to win Heisman and national title
Alabama running back Derrick Henry became the 17th player to win the Heisman Trophy and national championship in the same season when the Crimson Tide defeated the Clemson Tigers 45–40 on Monday night.
Henry passed Shaun Alexander for Alabama’s all-time rushing record in the national title game. Henry finished the game with 158 rushing yards and three touchdowns on 36 carries.
During the regular season, Henry set the SEC’s all-time single-season rushing record with 1,986 yards, while also tying the league’s single-season rushing touchdown mark with 23.
Along with the Heisman, Henry captured the Doak Walter Award for the country’s best college running back, as well as the Walter Camp Award and Maxwell Award for best American college football player in 2015.
Below, see the list of players who won both the Heisman Trophy and national title in the same season.
• Davey O’Brien, QB, TCU, 1938
• Bruce Smith, RB, Minnesota, 1940
• Frank Sinkwich, QB, Georgia, 1942
• Angelo Bertelli, QB, Notre Dame, 1943
• Doc Blanchard, FB, Army, 1945
• Glenn Davis, RB, Army, 1946
• John Lujack, QB, Notre Dame, 1947
• Leon Hart, DE, Notre Dame, 1949
• Tony Dorsett, RB, Pittsburgh, 1976
• Charlie Ward, QB, Florida State, 1993
• Danny Wuerffel, QB, Florida, 1996
• Charles Woodson, CB, Michigan, 1997
• Matt Leinart, QB, USC, 2004 (later vacated)
• Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama, 2009
• Cam Newton, QB, Auburn, 2010
• Jameis Winston, QB, Florida State, 2013
• Derrick Henry, RB, Alabama, 2015