Designated Read: 'I wish I had done more.'
• Exit --> exeunt: A brief timeline of events since we last addressed the Jerry Sandusky case and the rapidly unspooling state of affairs at Penn State: A report from Philadelphia's FOX station says the number of Sandusky victims has "more than doubled" since the release of the grand jury report. The university board met Tuesday night and will launch an investigation of its own, saying in a statement, "We promise you that we are committed to restoring public trust in the University." Students first rallied at the home of Joe Paterno, then marched to the school administration offices in support of the coach.
Then, about mid-morning on Wednesday, Paterno announced he will retire at the end of the season. It remains to be seen, however, whether he'll be permitted to stick around that long. Paterno has released a statement of his own, which reads, in part: "This is a tragedy. It is one of the great sorrows of my life. With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more."
• Toledo 66, Western Michigan 63: The Rockets broke even in Tuesday night MACtion, with 126 points surrendered over the past two games and 126 scored. Behold the gaudy stats: Seven touchdown passes for Western Michigan's Alex Carder. Just 71 yards for the Broncos' leading rusher, Tevin Drake, and 238 yards for their leading receiver, Jordan White. Also: 216 rushing yards for Toledo star Adonis Thomas and five Rockets with at least 50 receiving yards; 804 yards of offense for Toledo; 38 points combined in the fourth quarter alone. And just to keep things interesting, 10 (TEN) turnovers. [RECAP | BOX]
• Northern Illinois 45, Bowling Green 14: Might want to put a body on Chandler Harnish, y'all, or he'll do things like roll up close to 450 total yards of offense on your team on national television in primetime. [RECAP | BOX]
• Quote of the day: "The lengths taken, to the end, to protect the institution of Joe Paterno says lots about how this scandal came to be." -- Bomani Jones
• Home for the ruptured: Connor Shaw may be back under center for South Carolina against Florida, a week after sustaining a concussion against Arkansas. After another head injury of his own, Chris Owusu's future with Stanford is being evaluated.
• Roster blotter: Jake Heaps may use his third year of college to redshirt with the Cougars. Wednesday whimsy: Looky here, another document dump! San Diego State and BYU scrappin' via email! Harvey Updyke's trial date is set for March, which should provide scads of entertainment as the fervor from Signing Day dies down. Marcus Coker reassures the good people of Earth. The most memorable moment from Roll Tide/War Eagle, in gif form. A bold suggestion for Maryland's next uniform choice. And it's not football, but it is perilous, so check out this surfing video.