Designated Read: Reliable, nutritious MACtion
• Northern Illinois 41, Ball State 38: For about a half Tuesday night, things looked grim for the would-be MAC West champs. The Huskies took to their locker room after two quarters trailing 24-14, and less than five minutes into the third had fallen behind 31-14. Three NIU touchdowns, one last Ball State score and two NIU field goals followed to turn the Huskies loose with a three-point win. Chandler Harnish set a program record with 519 yards of all-purpose offense. Expect to hear some hollering in MAC circles about a late Ball State pick-six that might have put the game away but was called back thanks to a Harnish-roughing call on BSU's Tony Martin. [RECAP | BOX]
• Penn State things: Jerry Sandusky maybe shouldn't have gone on TV, and we didn't even hear everything he had to say to Costas. Mike McQueary's story begins to pull away from the grand jury report. CBS has some curious ideas regarding things that do and target="_blank">do not constitute important television.
• Realignment tidbit, grudgingly dispensed: BYU something something Big East something.
• New NCAA legislation proposals: They are here, and you can read them.
• Fresh coaches, bought and sold: It will benefit your daily entertainment needs to click on every one of these: Ron Zook walking out of his own press conference, Urban Meyer still having no plans to coach at this time, mmmhmmm, and Butch Davis displaying a fine taste in crushed-velvet webcam backdrops.
• Quote of the day: "We've got us a mess right now." -- Mack Brown
• Roster blotter: Ole Miss' chances against LSU have somehow gotten worse.• Wednesday whimsy: The Champs Sports Bowl Twitter account is an entertaining follow. Matt Stafford gets told. Wanna be on HBO? Terrelle Pryor will go easy on you now, yes. Another college football player, USC's Augusto Alonso, has Rhodes aspirations. And the notorious T.O.B. spits fire.