FAQ: 2011 New Mexico Bowl
The 2011 New Mexico Bowl is just days away. We're sure you have so many questions. We're here to help. For an Xs and Os breakdown, read Zac Ellis' bowl preview.
• Where can I watch it? University Stadium, Albuquerque, New Mexico.
• When is it on television? Kickoff is scheduled for 2:00 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 17. The game will be televised on ESPN.
• Whom does it feature? Officially, the New Mexico Bowl slates a Mountain West team against a Pac-12 team.
• What about this year? Not enough Pac-12 teams qualified for bowl participation; Temple (8-4) was selected with an at-large pick to take on Wyoming (8-4).
• Who sponsors it? Gildan.
• The paint company? That's Glidden, although funny you should ask: Years before the establishment of the bowl in its current form, the field at University stadium had to be dried by helicopter and painted green to provide a suitable hosting venue for the 1980 D-II national championship game. Gildan appears to make socks and underwear. We know this because there is a link on its website splash page reading, "Click here to purchase socks and underwear for yourself." Don't mind if we do!
• Who will call the game? Clay Matvick, Brian Griese and Jessica Mendoza will broadcast the wonders of the season's first bowl game.
• Can you please impart any miscellaneous knowledge you might have concerning the 2011 New Mexico Bowl? Glad you asked! Local artists handcraft the victors' trophy and MVP awards. Also, Archie Manning is listed as the keynote speaker for this year's kickoff luncheon.
• Should I show up in New Mexico to tell Archie Manning what I think of the recent head coaching hire at Ole Miss? I have lots and lots of opinions about that. We are sure he would appreciate that, yes. Stay tuned for more game FAQ sheets, and stay on top of a hectic postseason whirlwind with our complete 2011-2012 College Football Bowl Schedule.