FAQ: MAACO Bowl Las Vegas
The 2011 Las Vegas Bowl is just hours away. We're sure you have so many questions. We're here to help. (For an Xs and Os breakdown, check out Stewart Mandel's preview.)
• Where will this game be played? Sam Boyd Stadium, Las Vegas, Nevada, home of the UNLV Rebels and the occasional rugby sevens tournament.
• When is it on television? Kickoff is scheduled for 8:00 p.m. ET on Thursday, December 22. The game will be televised on ESPN.
• Whom does it feature? Currently Vegas gets the first Mountain West team off the lot and a mid-range Pac-12 team.
• What about this year? In a battle of tall versus un-tall quarterbacks, States Boise and Arizona will clash in the desert.
• Who sponsors it? The proper name of this shindig is actually the MAACO Bowl Las Vegas, like some above-itself gated community, which we guess is appropriate given the character of so many residential neighborhoods in the area. MAACO bills itself as "The premier collision center that also paints cars."
• I liked it better when it was the California Raisin Bowl. That may be, but would you rather spend a week in Fresno or Las Vegas? Myself, I preferred the video-game sponsorships of the late 20th and early 21st century; do you think they'd even play the game if EA Sports still headlined it?
• Who would win in a game of NCAA '12, Brock Osweiler or Kellen Moore? See? This could be just like the showdown in the 1989 cinematic classic target="_blank">The Wizard.
• Boise might actually prefer that. Yeah, the Broncos are not too happy about being relegated to a December bowl again this year, and with good reason.
• I love the Power Glove. It's so bad.
• Who will call the game? The big guns! Chris Fowler and Kirk Herbstreit will lend a touch of class to Moore's last collegiate football appearance.
• Enough about the football. What about the loot? The Vegas Bowl is a gift suite game, and one of the choices is a recliner. Here's hoping every participating player selects one and attempts to bring it on the plane home.
• What wacky activities/mild indignities will bowl participants be subjected to over the course of the week? The "Team Welcome Reception" was held at the Fremont Street Experience, which abuts Mermaid's Casino, where the top-shelf vodka is Volkov in plastic bottles but they sell three kinds of peppermint schnapps behind the bar. Also, something called the "Jabbowockeez Show Night."
• Please impart any miscellaneous knowledge you might have concerning the 2011 Las Vegas Bowl. According to bowl lore (via the disarmingly up-front bowl website), this game was "Organized by community leaders out of a need to fill hotel rooms during a traditionally slow period in a world-class destination city."
• It's almost hard to believe Boise would have preferred to go to the Sugar Bowl. I know, right? Stay tuned for more postseason FAQ sheets, and stay on top of a hectic postseason slate with our complete 2011-2012 College Football Bowl Schedule.