The 2011 Holiday Bowl is just a day away. We're sure you have so many questions. We're here to help. (For an Xs and Os breakdown, check out Mallory Rubin's bowl preview.)
• What's all this, then? For the second year in a row, we welcome the Bridgeport Education Holiday Bowl, which sounds way less glamorous than its predecessor, the Pacific Life Holiday Bowl. But cut the for-profit education company some slack: It's been having a bit of a rough year.
• Might we then see a return to the days of the omnipresent Disco Whale commercial? One can only hope. An insurance company fronted by an aquatic mammal target="_blank">with its own fight song was one of the most memorable bowl sponsors of its day.
• Where will this game be played? Qualcomm Stadium, San Diego, home of the Chargers and currently masquerading as Snapdragon Stadium.
• When is it on television? Kickoff is scheduled for 8:00 p.m. ET on Wednesday, December 28. The game will be televised on ESPN.
• Whom does it feature? The Holiday Bowl gets third pick of Pac-12 teams and fifth pick in the Big 12.
• What about this year? A 7-5 mark is not a record to crow about in more storied college football circles, but Texas and Cal get to spend a winter week in San Diego, which is never an unpleasant prospect.
• Who will call the game? Rece Davis gets his cosmic reward for enduring untold hours in a confined space with Craig James by broadcasting from sunny southern California without him. Jesse Palmer and Jenn Brown will occupy their usual supporting roles.
• What wacky activities/mild public indignities will be offered over the course of the week? Oh, the Holiday Bowl is so, so great at this. In addition to the team visits to the San Diego Zoo and Sea World, Holiday Bowl week also features the final round of the 15th annual Wienerschnitzel Wiener Nationals, which is exactly what it sounds like: "Any dachsund may participate!" College football and wiener dog racing. Whatta country.
• Enough about the football. What about the loot? Make your own bowl gift, Longhorns and Bears, with a handy Best Buy gift card. Don't go spending it all on Hannah Montana karaoke sets, now. (But if you do, send us pictures.)
• Please impart any miscellaneous knowledge you might have concerning the 2011 Holiday Bowl. Glad you asked! Were you aware that you can make your own Holiday Bowl anthem just by changing the words to target="_blank">Holiday Road? You are now! Holiday BooOOOOOooooOOOOOoooowl ...
Stay tuned for more postseason FAQ sheets, and stay on top of a hectic postseason slate with our complete 2011-2012 College Football Bowl Schedule.