Friday Night Bites: Washington State at UNLV (FAQ)
Washington State and UNLV play a single game tonight that makes up the entirety of your Friday college football viewing schedule. We’re sure you have so many questions.
• What information do I, the discerning consumer, need to consume this game? This is all the football you get for tonight, so do pay attention: The Cougars and Rebels kick off in Sam Boyd Stadium at 9 p.m. ET. The game will be televised on ESPN.
• This is in Las Vegas? It is, but not Vegas Vegas. The stadium is several miles from the Strip, negating the possibility of leaping wide receivers and defensive backs being distracted from watching the ball by the roller coaster at New York-New York. And though we have been accidentally locked into it before, we are rather fond of Sam Boyd Stadium. The Las Vegas Bowl is there. It's a pretty nice venue, especially for a program this size.
• What have we seen from these teams so far, in terms of actual football? Not a whole lot to write home about. Wazzu is undergoing the sort of fits-and-starts growth you'd expect with a wholesale regime change. The Cougars lost their season opener at BYU, 30-6, and came uncomfortably close to losing to an FCS opponent in Week 2, beating Eastern Washington 24-20. The Rebels actually did lose their FCS game, falling 17-14 to Northern Arizona, after dropping a triple-overtime loss to Minnesota in Week 1.
• Any surprises in store for tonight? The Cougars may not have starting quarterback Jeff Tuel, though it wouldn't be a great shock. Washington State isn't exactly the most forthcoming program when it comes to injury reports, but whatever happened to Tuel's right knee has been problematic enough to give most of this week's reps to Connor Halliday. (UNLV lost last week's game to Northern Arizona's backup quarterback, Chase Cartwright, if you're into omens.)
• Where can I read more about tonight's game? We suggest the fine CougCenter blog from our friends and partners at SB Nation, where they have also posted this handy Pac-12 video of gardening tips from Mike Leach.• Where will you be watching this game? At home with our family, trying not to scare the dogs and cats with our shrieking. What are you doing with your life that you are not in Las Vegas on a Friday night watching Mike Leach coach football? Right? We are really examining our life path today, and finding it wanting.