and other FSU return men, beware! Clemson's long snappers will haunt you once every two years! (AP)
• A very specific part of the Clemson-Florida State series is haunted. We must share this email we received from Clemson sports information, because it's too wacky not to pass along: "Clemson long snapper Phillip Fajgenbaum recovered a Florida State punt fumble in the first half. It set up a Clemson touchdown, helping the Tigers to a 21-14 lead at intermission. It was the first fumble recovery of Fajgenbaum’s career. What made it odd was that it marked the third straight trip to Tallahassee that a Clemson long snapper had recovered a Florida State fumble. And those are the only recovered fumbles by Clemson long snappers in the 21st Century. In 2010, Matt Skinner recovered a Florida State fumble on a punt return and in 2008 Charles Roediger accomplished the same feat." Florida State special teams players of 2014: HEADS ON A SWIVEL.
• Other news of the weird in our inbox. Here's a press release excerpt we bet the Big Ten didn't count on writing this year: "Minnesota, Northwestern and Ohio State carry unblemished records into the beginning of conference play following wins last weekend…"
• Hey, Harvey Updyke's back! "Updyke ran into trouble again last week when attempting to return a lawnmower to a national home improvement store in Hammond." Harvey Updyke's post-treeslaying life is going about how you'd expect.
• Injury report story hour. UTEP safety Richard Spencer, who caused Monteé Ball's first career fumble Saturday, tore his ACL later in the game and is done for the year. Spencer is a senior, and Mike Price said at his Monday media appearance that UTEP may petition for an extra year of eligibility ... Tevin King, half of Louisiana Tech's freshman running back tandem that supports the nation's 11th-ranked offense, also tore his ACL against Illinois.
• Roster blotter. East Carolina has dismissed wide receiver Dayon Arrington after a drug-related weekend arrest. Arrington had already served a one-game suspension in Week 1 for violating team rules ... Western Kentucky will appeal Jonathan Dowling's suspension.
• Quote of the day. I.
• Quote of the day, II.
Notre Dame has canceled the Michigan series starting in 2015
, making 2014's contest one big game of got-you-last ... your grudging BCS minutiae update
... Manti Te'o as Heisman hopeful
... and Illinois is hosting a food-on-a-stick tailgating contest
this weekend, which we will be mentioning nine more times between now and Friday because this is the best idea.