Don't muss the Russ; more Designated Reads
Uga IX makes a friend: twitter.com/si_vault/statu…
— Andy Gray (@si_vault) October 2, 2012
We could use a dog photo today. You could, too. Here is Uga IX, né Russ, holding down the fort between the hedges.
• NEWS UPDATE OF VITAL IMPORTANCE, I. "Alabama fan makes emergency landing, leaves plane in field to make Alabama-Ole Miss game." As one does!
• NEWS UPDATE OF VITAL IMPORTANCE, II. "Couple marries at LSU tailgate" isn't that surprising of a headline, but let's turn the floor over to the Louisiana reader who sent this in for commentary and context:
1. The groomsman in the tuxedo that doesn't quite fit.
2. It was at Walk-Ons, which was recently named one of the best sports bars in the country and in my opinion has the worst "food" in Baton Rouge.
3. She wanted the tailgate wedding, not him.
4. The idea came to them at a ZZ Top concert.
Love you forever, LSU.
• "The Times is no longer attending Trojans' practices as well, allowing reporters more time to check on the living arrangements of parents who now have sons playing for USC." We sympathize most sincerely with our pals on the USC/UCLA beat, but never say the papers aren't swinging back. Owwwwww.
• Injury report story hour. Sammy Watkins is expected to be back for Clemson in Week 6 ... Alabama has lost wide receiver DeAndrew White and running back Dee Hart to season-ending knee injuries ... still no word on USC center Khaled Holmes' status for Thursday's game against Utah ... nor any on Riley Nelson's for BYU's showdown with Utah State on Friday ... Kentucky's Maxwell Smith needs ankle surgery ... did Ohio State and Michigan State get pokey in the pile?
• Tweet of the day.
RT @rockmnation: Brainstorming ideas for a Battle Of The James Franklins trophy. Bronze statue of a scholarship being given to a walk-on ...• Misc. Reign of Troy takes a look at Los Angeles pro and college football attendance ... offense may be an attendance draw, but let's do a productivity study on just how many folks missed work on Monday recovering from the ravages of WVU-Baylor ... Reddit comes through big for the football troll in your life.
— edsbs (@edsbs) October 2, 2012