and Washington topped Cal last year and will look to emerge victorious again Friday night. (Getty Images)
• What information do I, the discerning consumer, require in order to consume this game? The Huskies and Golden Bears are scheduled to kick off at 9 p.m. ET at Memorial Stadium in Berkeley. The game will be televised on ESPN2 and streamed on WatchESPN.
• What's at stake here? Bowl eligibility for the Bears, who, at 3-6 overall, must win out to earn any kind of postseason invitation. The pressure is much lower for the Huskies, who sit at 4-4 but are headed into the easiest stretch on their 2012 schedule: Their remaining opponents (Cal, Utah, Colorado and Wazzu) are a combined 9-24.
• How fired is Cal coach Jeff Tedford at this point — fired, or SUPER-fired? Tedford, the Golden Bears' all-time winningest coach, actually still has a job as of this morning, but for how much longer is anyone's guess. It's been an unfortunate decline for Tedford, who was hailed as a savior for taking a Cal program that had cratered under Tom Holmoe and returning it to respectability with three straight Top 25 finishes. That was six years ago, though, and today Tedford is on track for a second losing season in three years. When you're the highest-paid state employee in California, people expect better.
• Wait, is he really the highest-paid state employee in California? Sure is. He took home $2.88 million in 2011. By comparison, California Gov. Jerry Brown made $173,987 that year.
• Welp. What are the chances he saves his job with a win tonight?
Not great, to be honest. Washington hasn't exactly been a great, or even consistent, team this season, and the Huskies have yet to win a game away from Seattle, but they have notched top-10 upsets over Stanford and Oregon State. Meanwhile, the Bears are injury-riddled on defense, particularly in the front seven; they'll also have to make something happen on offense without star receiver Keenan Allen (61 catches for 737 yards and six touchdowns, in addition to some nice punt returns this season), who is sidelined with a knee injury.