A Thousand Points of Spite: Week 11 awards
Assorted bests and worsts from college football's weekend that was.
• Best GameDay flag trek: Getting a Wazzu flag into a crowd shot at GameDay is a long and proud tradition in Pullman, but the Cougar faithful might have been forgiven had they not managed to get a bearer on the deck of the USS San Diego, right? Fear not:
By the way, the Wazzu flag made it on GameDay earlier today, even with it on a ship: twitpic.com/bc1vcq
— Bryan Fischer (@BryanDFischer) November 11, 2012
• Most useful SEC team: Everybody has a purpose in this vast universe of ours, and though there hasn't been much to celebrate in terms of Auburn football this season, the Tigers are serving a crucial purpose: punching conference opponents' tickets to Atlanta!
So both SEC divisions will be clinched against Auburn. (UGA today, Bama in 2 weeks).
— Stewart Mandel (@slmandel) November 11, 2012
• Play of the week: It's fast, but see if you can't spot Johnny Football fumbling, catching his own fumble (are we calling that a self-lateral?), scrambling free of danger and throwing a touchdown pass. Against the Alabama Crimson Tide defense. Y'know, football stuff.
• Family-friendliest burn: It's a small world, after all.
#NotreDame LB Manti Te'o on BC's offense: "You thought you were at Disney World. There were Mickey Mouse plays everywhere."
— Brian Hamilton (@ChiTribHamilton) November 11, 2012
• Best hobby: It's not what coaches might call good that Florida's Matt Elam is so enthusiastic about hitting players out of bounds, but since he's just as likely to do it to his own teammate we can't help but find it endearing. The kid has a passion, and is clearly pursuing it to the fullest of his abilities.
• Grape Job! Our coveted sticker is awarded this week to Derek Dooley, for running out the clock in a tie game with two timeouts and an offense that can field Tyler Bray, Justin Hunter, Cordarrelle Patterson and Mychal Rivera at the same time.
• Loneliest kid in the last interception pool: Colby Cameron splashes around by himself from Week 11 on, as the last FBS quarterback not to have thrown an interception in the 2012 regular season. He broke Russell Wilson's record against Texas State Saturday, surpassing the former NC State/Wisconsin quarterback's streak of 379 pick-free pass attempts with a new mark of 419. • Best reason to become a doomsday prepper: All joking aside, did you ever think Alabama's national title run would be derailed by the Tide jumping offsides on fourth down? We're checking the expiration dates on our canned goods this week.