The future is only two years away; more Designated Reads
• Don't run. We are your friends. SI.com's Stewart Mandel was in Denver for the playoff meetings Monday and returned with a full report on the near future of college football:
"There will be plenty of money for everybody," said Hancock. "The bottom line is more."
Click through for actual details of the approved postseason format and the bowls and spoils in question.
• Roster blotter. Oregon has lost safety Avery Patterson and Tennessee has lost linebacker Curt Magitt, both to torn ACLs. In happier news, an update from Houston on defensive back D.J. Hayden tells us Hayden has been released from the hospital following his freak heart injury sustained last week in practice. The Cougars' team physician, Walter Lowe, had this to say in a school release:
"Looking at the whole course of events and the severity of the injury, D.J. has progressed remarkably well and is out a lot sooner than expected. He's got a lot of healing left to do as the procedure to repair the inferior vena cava is much like a heart transplant. The sternum should take around three months to heal and D.J. is expected to be able to resume normal activities without contact in three-to-four months."
Meanwhile, Hayden's legend blossomed after his head coach revealed the injured player's top priority following the accident:
Coach Tony Levine said CB D.J. Hayden never lost his sense of humor. He told the surgeons "be sure to try and not mess up my abs."
— Joseph Duarte (@Joseph_Duarte) November 13, 2012
• Noooo way this ends in embarrassment for all involved. Nope. What to do with the University of Washington, which actually intends to enforce its ban on live-tweeting sports events? We rather like colleague Spencer Hall's suggestion of "HUNT THE BLOGGER."
• Coach quote of the day, I. Mike Gundy, combatting questions of Wes Lunt's mansomeness with grisly common sense:
Gundy to critics of Lunt's toughness: "when your kneecap is on the side of your leg, it probably hurts." #OKState
— John Helsley (@jjhelsley) November 12, 2012
• Coach quote of the day, II. Joker Phillips, reminding us why we're going to miss Joker Phillips very much:
[tweet https://twitter.com/KyleTucker_CJ/status/268044317409542144]• Misc. Here's a chilling look into just how far down ACC tiebreakers could spiral by the end of the regular season ... please enjoy this intimate look at Marcus Davis blocking ... categorized here because its future member institutions are perhaps the most variegated in sports, news of the Big East's intended divisions. Start plotting your thematic work for "Big East Blues" now.