• It's really and truly over. With Army-Navy receding in the rearview, and a football-free week between now and the New Mexico Bowl, it's time to confront the close of the 2012 season with the following range of emotions:
Everything is terrible.
• What verbal glories await in Hattiesburg? As a kind of farewell to Oklahoma State offensive coordinator Todd Monken, the Oklahoman rounds up a collection of his more memorable (if PG) quips during his tenure in Stillwater. One favorite: “Up until that point, there hadn’t been a moment for myself. Dana had been here, I was just running his stuff. Up until that point there was a trust, but it was still, ‘Who is this guy that stands in front of us?’ It’s like in ‘The Sandlot’ when the goofy kid with glasses finally catches the ball. It’s like, ‘All right, he’s OK.’ Up until that point he’s just the nerdy kid in the outfield with his hat on weird.”
• Cafeteria conference realignment. Cincinnati worked local channels when trying to get out of the Big East:
The email and other documents, obtained by The Enquirer through an Ohio Public Records Act request, also show that UC tried to enlist Ohio State University football coach Urban Meyer, whose sister works at UC. Urban used to coach at Notre Dame, which has joined the ACC for sports other than football.
• "At this point, we're to the point of cheering him on like a Depression-era bank robber." Spencer Hall ponders the manners in which Bobby Petrino might flame out at his latest coaching destination.
• Big Hank to the big leagues. Ohio State defensive tackle Johnathan Hankins is bound for the 2013 NFL draft.
• Bobby Petrino press conference tweets of note.
"We will be aggressive and multiple and my wife is hot." -- how every coach says "Hello"
— Jason Kirk (@JasonKirkSBN) December 10, 2012
If somebody really wanted to see if Bobby Petrino has changed, they'd ask a question at this presser in a MTSU hat.
— Bryan Fischer (@BryanDFischer) December 10, 2012
• Johnny Television! The freshly hatched Heisman winner does Letterman: