Who will succeed Steve Addazio in snuggling the New Mexico Bowl trophy? (AP)
The 2012 New Mexico Bowl is just hours away. We’re sure you have so many questions. We’re here to help. (For an X's and O's breakdown, click through to Zac Ellis' game preview.)
• What’s all this, then? The New Mexico Bowl kicks off the 2012-2013 postseason. You are going to want to watch it, because for a mid-December bowl game, it features some fine pointy football. The nation's top two rushers, Ka'Deem Carey of Arizona and Stefphon Jefferson of Nevada, are each averaging more than 140 yards per game on the ground.
• Where will this game be played? University Stadium in Albuquerque, New Mexico, home of the Lobos and host to the bowl since its inception in 2006.
• Have the Lobos ever been in this game? Twice, actually, in the bowl's first two years. New Mexico is 1-1 in the New Mexico Bowl.
• When is it on television? The game is scheduled for 1 p.m. ET; an 11 a.m. local kickoff. The action will be televised on ESPN (and in 3D, for some reason) and streamed on WatchESPN.
• Whom does it feature? The Mountain West versus the Pac-12.
• What about this year? The 7-5 Nevada Wolfpack accepted their bowl invitation before they'd even played their final Mountain West game. They'll face 7-5 Arizona out of the Pac-12. This will mark the Pack's second appearance in this particular postseason contest; they lost 23-0 to New Mexico in 2007.
• What's the weather going to be like? Current weekend forecasts for Albuquerque call for a high of 47 degrees, and scattered rain and snow showers. In New Mexico? It can get mighty cold in the desert. Recall the Division III title game held at that same stadium in 1980, when the field had to be dried off by helicopter and painted green. (It's since been replaced with FieldTurf.)
• Who will call the game? Bob Wischusen, Danny Kanell and Kaylee Hartung will usher in this postseason.
• What wacky activities will be offered during bowl week? Saturday's "Fan Fest" at University Stadium features "a giant slide, jumpers and a batman obstacle course." Is this designed to teach fans to govern isolated island cities through fear-based tactics while wearing gnarly sheepskin coats? Maybe!
• Please impart any miscellaneous knowledge you might have concerning the 2012 New Mexico Bowl.
The New Mexico Bowl boasts one of the neatest trophies
in the college football postseason ... Arizona and Nevada are tied all-time after three meetings, 1-1-1, and have not played since 1941 ... the teams have booked a home-and-home series for 2014 and 2015 ... Albuquerque is home to the American Rattlesnake Museum