• BYU 23, San Diego State 6. All you really, really need to know about last night's Poinsettia Bowl -- that you didn't glean from the Laff Riot -- can be found in this gif from our pals at @SBNation:
It's the Muppetish way Riley Stephenson lets his arms swing while running off the field that really elevates the artform of the celebration dance here. [BOX | RECAP]
• Merry Christmas, Raggle Muffins. We're just going to paste in excerpts of Georgia's Friday morning practice report here:
ATHENS-----Fifth-ranked Georgia held its final bowl practice in Athens in what was deemed “Ragamuffin Friday” as players had the option of getting creative with their workout attire. A handful of Bulldogs garnered attention for their accessories, most notably junior cornerback Blake Sailors for his raccoon skin hat taped to his helmet, freshman running back Todd Gurley’s red riding hood cape and senior flanker Taylor Bradberry’s vintage electric blue-striped jumpsuit straight from the 1980s.
At the end of practice, Bulldog head coach Mark Richt made a few announcements and what has been tradition over the years, a member of the team volunteered to sing a tune in hopes it would be good enough to excuse the squad from its final conditioning run. Junior defensive end Clint Kirk stepped up and belted a rendition of “I Believe I Can Fly,” an R. Kelly song that made its debut in 1996. Richt deferred the decision to director of strength and conditioning Joe Tereshinski who paused briefly and then said “Merry Christmas.”
• Coach-hirin' follies. Alabama secondary coach Jeremy Pruitt has been formally announced as Florida State's new defensive coordinator ... Bryan Harsin has retained the services of John Thompson as Arkansas State DC ... Walt Wells will follow Willie Taggart to South Florida as offense coordinator ... and with Matt Wells' promotion at Utah State, FIU's head coaching job is currently the only vacancy in FBS football, at least until the NFL comes a-poachin'. If that Butch Davis dream isn't going to work out for the Panthers, may we humbly suggest a hotshot young prospect we've heard a lot about recently? One with experience in recruiting South Florida, playing in the Sun Belt, and shoring up downtrodden programs? We think he's got a lot to offer.
• Bowltyme update. Our continued best wishes to Sean McDonough, who will use a Friday basketball game to help determine whether he's sufficiently recovered to call the Alamo and Sugar Bowls.
• Roster blotter. Alabama's C.J. Moseley will return for his senior season. Tennessee's Tyler Bray will not.
• Schedule matters. Louisiana Tech's nonconference slate for 2013 includes North Carolina State, Kansas and Army.
• Tweet of the day.
A story about the American legal system bending to make way for football
set in the SEC ... of course Mike Leach is working on a Geronimo book
... and here is a joke
whose time has come.