Assorted items of varying degrees of interest which you may have missed while grudgingly watching playoff football and sending surly tweets to the Golden Globes:
• The NCAA is Lucy, and Miami football is the football, and we are Charlie Brown running toward it, or something? This metaphor holds up only to demonstrate how very much we wish for this all to be over, but here we go: The Miami Herald is calling the release of NCAA allegations against the Hurricanes football program "imminent," just short of the investigation's two-year anniversary. Bylaw Blogger John Infante lays out all the ways this process could still be stalled, and how the Miami case might affect Oregon's.
• Mike Stoops also a fan of Hi Haters Friday! Friday night, 6:06 p.m., Tulsa World's John E. Hoover posts a transcript excerpt of a Mike Stoops radio interview, specifically a question regarding Johnny Football: "They’re gonna be tough to deal with. If they can keep him out of jail or keep him eligible, he's gonna be pretty good." Friday night, 10:37 p.m., Tulsa World post headline: "Mike Stoops regrets controversial comments on Manziel." Had Stoops' defense possessed that kind of on-the-fly adaptability in the Cotton Bowl, perhaps Manziel would not have scored four touchdowns against it, PAAAOWL.
• Roster blotter. In better news for Miami: Seantrel Henderson, Brandon Linder and Curtis Porter announced Monday morning they all intend to return to the 'Canes in 2013 ... in even better news for Profiteroles fans, Dri Archer will stay on for his senior season at Kent State ... Iowa State quarterback Jared "That Kid Who Beat Oklahoma State" Barnett and linebacker C.J. Morgan intend to transfer ... Texas defensive tackle Brandon Moore will enter the draft ... also declaring is USC corner Nickell Robey, whom we will dearly miss watching because of his too-perfect defensive name ... Oregon linebacker Anthony Wallace will transfer ... Case McCoy and Jordan Hicks have been reinstated at Texas ... and Casey Pachall returns to the Horned Frogs.
• Coach-hirin' follies. New coordinators hired since we last typed in this here box: Matt Wallerstedt (DC) at Texas Tech, Kevin Sherrer (DC) at South Alabama, Chuck Bullough (DC) at Syracuse and Doug Meacham (OC) at Houston.
Elsewhere on the coaching carousel: Mike Bobo wants no part of that mess in Blacksburg ... Bill Young says his age forced his ousting at Oklahoma State ... Western Kentucky has already lost a new assistant, reportedly to UAB ... and Dave Yost is reportedly bound for Pullman, which means HAIR HAIR HAIR.
Oh, and we're done with that whole Brian Kelly thing, for realsies.
• Tweet of the day. Never underestimate the power of cookie cake on a high school kid:
I like that the NCAA doesn't regulate the size of a cookie you can give a recruit on a visit so #FSU makes em ~20"• Misc. A fond remembrance of #WACtion ... dust off your carefully preserved collections of alternate Big Ten division names ... and will you look at what's about to crop up in the Las Vegas desert?
— TomahawkNation.com (@TomahawkNation) January 11, 2013