Maryland seeks a few good Terps; more Designated Reads
• You a Terp? Maryland has announced walk-on football tryouts for Wednesday, January 30. You must be a full-time, currently enrolled student to be eligible for consideration.
This is also your reminder that heading into Maryland's last regular-season football game of 2012, this is what Maryland's injury report looked like. So if you're an aspiring quarterback, we're honestly not sure whether to tell you to show up or stay away.
• Meanwhile, while the internet was caving in on itself ... Lost yesterday in the avalanche of news shocks was the announcement that the Mountain West has retaken San Diego State. (We're choosing to picture this as a giant Risk board in action. The Big 12 is clearly Australia.) We have an MWC source who's promised to tell us the second the conference poaches UCLA, and y'all will be the first to know after that.
• Coach-hirin' follies! Go right on ahead and apply for Chip Kelly's old job, and be sure and let us know how that works out ... here is a magnificent lead followed by Rob Mullens' insistence that he has no clubhouse leaders in mind for Kelly's vacant seat ... John-El lands at DII Fort Lewis College ... Utah passing coordinator Aaron Roderick will take the OC slot at BYU [UPDATE: No he won't!] ... Louisiana Tech won't have to re-glaze any of its "I <3 OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR TONY" mugs ... Tim Rosenbach joins the UNLV staff as OC.
• Roster blotter. After an unforgivably long layoff, we have updated our Scooter Arrest Index with news of Jessamen Dunker's grand theft moped incident. The Fulmer Cup is open in style, friends and neighbors ... in other rapid Gator movement news, Jacoby Brissett will transfer to NC State, per the Palm Beach Post ... Iowa State's Jared Barnett will land at a different I-State, per Jared Barnett ... Arizona's Daniel Jenkins has announced he'll transfer to Washington State ... and Georgia guard Chris Burnette could miss spring ball recovering from shoulder surgery.
• Tweet of the day, I. Finally, someone asking the tough questions:
• Tweet of the day, II. Unfortunately, this elevator only gets halfway up the SEC East standings and then stalls to a halt.
Check out the new elevator buttons here in UT Athletics. twitpic.com/bvsq69
— Jason Yellin (@JasonYellin) January 16, 2013