South teammates having a Senior Bowl moment. (AP)
• Actual football content! Sort of! E.J. Manuel earned MVP honors at Saturday's Senior Bowl, scoring the South's first two touchdowns -- a two-yard run and a 20-yard pass to Alabama's Michael Williams -- to give his team a 14-0 first-quarter lead. BYU's Ziggy Ansah shone on defense with seven tackles, 1.5 sacks and a forced fumble. Stepfan Taylor led all rushers with nine carries for 53 yards; Kenjon Barner was the game's top receiver with seven catches for 59 yards.
Also, this happened. Of course it did.
• And what do recruiters make of the new recruiting regulations? "It's insane. It's bad on both ends," said a recruiting coordinator at a major-conference school. "If it's not regulated where coaches have periods here and there that are designated as breaks, you don't get any time with your family." That and more from Stewart Mandel.
• Coach-hirin' season! Nerds, prepare for carousel intrigue: Hal Mumme has resigned from D-III McMurry University ... Dave Clawson's contract at Bowling Green has been extended through 2018 ... Ole Miss completes Houston Nutt's buyout with a splash ... Steve Shankweiler, who was not retained as offensive line coach upon Willie Taggart's arrival at South Florida, will serve on Ron Turner's staff at FIU in the same capacity, in addition to coordinating the run game.
• Roster blotter. Send healing vibes to Virginia Tech corner Antone Exum, who tore his right ACL and whose absence could stretch into the 2013 season ... Rex Ryan's son, Seth, will walk on at Clemson ... Syracuse running back Prince-Tyson Gulley, defensive tackle Eric Crume and linebacker Dyshawn Davis are all out for spring ball following assorted surgeries ... Oregon has dismissed defensive back James Scales for the Ever-Popular-And-Mysterious Violation Of Team Rules ... and for news on the possibility of Oklahoma quarterback Drew Allen transferring, let's turn to Drew Allen himself:
• Realignment tidbits, grudgingly dispensed. Both the Big Ten and Big East are still talking expansion, with varying degrees of seriousness, so let's get ready for another stupid offseason of this claptrap.
• Not strictly football, but necessary. Shake off your Monday afternoon lunch coma with this jampacked .gif of Marshall Henderson versus Auburn, this one of Providence and Marquette basketball players being attacked by live bats, this recap of NIU's spin on perhaps the worst college hoops game of all-time and this .gif of a runaway snowmobile at the X Games.
The Georgia Senate congratulates Louisville
on an immensely satisfying-in-Georgia Sugar Bowl victory ... WMU's 2013 helmets
evoke Boise and desert camo ... the NCAA did not capitalize STREET DRUGS in this release
but we all know they wanted to ... Kaylee Hartung can beatbox, and also here is a goat
... and if you live in the Miami
areas and just really need to take in National Signing Day among friends, you can for some reason do that at school-sanctioned Buffalo Wild Wings parties.