PUNTER FLIP concludes; more Designated Reads
• Ask not for whom the punter flips. What was funny a little while ago when it was reported that punter Johnny Townsend was headed to Nick Saban's squad and not former rival Urban Meyer's is now funny, in a different way, with Townsend signing on with Meyer's old squad. Either way, Ohio State lost out on a punter, which even in the absence of Jim Tresselball is still pretty giggleworthy.
• "That's the first time in 30 years I've ever been chased out of a development and chased down a highway trying to recruit somebody." Here is a recruiting trail story from Randy Edsall that you are going to want to read.
• "I've taken it about up to here with all the media and the Twitters and everybody." Hugh Freeze gets frosty, and Andy Staples was there.
• Oh. Right. This. Lost in the shuffle on Signing Day Eve: A report from Dennis Dodd that Julie Roe Lach OK'd payments to Maria Elena Perez. WELL NOW.
• Coach-hirin' season! Bob Cole has been promoted to offensive coordinator at Northern Illinois ... Todd Grantham has had contact with the Saints regarding their vacant defensive coordinator position ... D-II Shippensburg University offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich has been hired in the same capacity at Oklahoma State ... former Texas Tech defensive coordinator James Willis is back at it, this time with the Ragin' Cajuns ...
• Roster blotter. Nick Florence is hanging up his cleats ... Fitz Toussaint will miss spring ball at Michigan ... Florida cornerback Loucheiz Purifoy was hit with a misdemeanor marijuana possession charge over the weekend .. Boise State safety Lee Hightower and tight end Hayden Plinke, suspended last season, will not return to the Broncos, per Chris Petersen ... USC tight end Junior Pomee is facing felony theft charges.
• Schedule matters. Nebraska and Colorado have booked a four-game home-and-home series to begin in 2018, with additional games in 2019, 2023 and 2024 ... Penn State's Week 3 date with Central Florida is official.• Get 'em early. Who will be the next Dee Liner?