Given the general demeanor of Clemson's mascot, we're kind of surprised that's all they found in the beer. (AP)
By Holly Anderson
Pertinent excerpts from this AP report on a Clemson study of the dangers of beer pong:
• "More research found that dangerous bacteria such as salmonella, listeria, e. Coli and staph on the balls end up in the beer when players make successful tosses into glasses."
• "The students found the most extra bacteria -- 3 million of the tiny organisms -- on balls being used in an outdoor beer pong game. A ball being used in a game played on carpet had 200 bacteria on it."
• "It's about the competition of throwing a ball in a cup, not about the alcohol," Gains said. "We actually threw away a considerable amount of beer at our last tournament."