Dan Mullen throws a bowling party for Mississippi State football players
This is the just about the greatest thing a coach can do for his players during August practices.
Dan Mullen just surprised the team with a bowling party instead of their second practice of the day. Holy wow are they happy.
— Bob Carskadon (@bobcarskadon) August 14, 2013
Seriously, football is hard and grueling, and two-a-days are the worst and all anybody ever does is throw up and get hurt and suffer subconcussive blows anyway. Let's just make all the second practices of two-a-days into birthday parties you had or wanted to have when you were a kid. Just imagine the possibilities:
• LSU's Wild & Crazy Kids Party
• Paul Chryst takes Pittsburgh to go see the Matthew Broderick version of Godzilla at the drive-in
• Dana Holgorsen organizes a trip to Mountaineer Casino,
conveniently accidentally forgets to grab the team on the way
• Bo Pelini takes his kids to the fiberglass factory
• Larry Fedora puts on a cassette tape of the BoDeans
• Laser Quest with Oregon (I assume there is a laser tag arena in Oregon's new football facility anyway)
• Bret Bielema lets the team stay up late to watch Undressed
• Kevin Sumlin gives everybody a subscription to Zoobooks
• Putt-putt with Steve Spurrier but none of this lollygagging this is serious practice your form
• Al Golden takes the 'Canes to jai alai
• Jim Grobe gives all the Wake Forest players full-size Snickers bars
• Paul Johnson lets his team get a drink of water before the second practice
I'm proud of you, Coach Mullen. I really am.
http://youtu.be/Xy7Pjf6taSI We used to have an 18-hole golf course at one of the ad agencies I worked at, one hole a day, and that was the thing I looked forward to most coming into to work. Morale is an important thing, and practice is grinding and exhausting. It's a little gesture, but it goes a long way, even if it doesn't translate to one single additional win on the field.