Heisman Trophy odds: Teddy Bridgewater tabbed as new favorite after Week 1
Teddy Bridgewater's stellar opening-week performance seems to have vaulted him to the front of the Heisman Trophy race. Per online sports book Bovada, Louisville's quarterback has become the new 2013 favorite to take home the trophy.
Bridgewater leads the pack with 5/1 odds in Bovada's updated list released on Tuesday, two days after the passer lit up Ohio by going 23-of-28 for 355 yards and five touchdowns. Ohio State quarterback Braxton Miller, the previous favorite among Bovada's odds, dropped from 9/2 to 13/2. Miller was among several players who took a dip in Heisman odds, joining South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney (6/1 to 15/1) to Georgia quarterback Aaron Murray (14/1 to 25/1).
Bridgewater wasn't the only quarterback who made a big move in Week 1. Florida State's Jameis Winston, who picked apart Pitt's defense in his first collegiate game on Monday night, propelled from 35/1 to 10/1. Meanwhile, Texas A&M's Johnny Manziel moved from 15/1 to 15/2. Clemson's Tajh Boyd, who leads SI.com's Heisman Watch this week, climbed from 14/1 to 8/1.
Bridgewater's placement might raise a few eyebrows. Few could argue against Bridgewater's performance in the Cardinals' opener, but the quarterback could have a difficult time keeping voters impressed against a decidedly weak schedule. Coach Charlie Strong's team likely won't face another Top 25 team all season, and exposure can be is an important factor in the Heisman race.
Here is Bovada's full list of updated Heisman odds:
• Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville: 5/1
• Braxton Miller, QB, Ohio State: 13/2
• Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M: 15/2
• Marcus Mariota, QB, Oregon: 8/1
• Tajh Boyd, QB, Clemson: 8/1
• Duke Johnson, RB, Miami: 10/1
• Jameis Winston, QB, Florida State: 10/1
• AJ McCarron, QB, Alabama: 12/1
• De'Anthony Thomas, RB, Oregon: 15/1
• Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina: 15/1
• T.J. Yeldon, RB, Alabama: 15/1
• Todd Gurley, RB, Georgia: 15/1
• Stephen Morris, QB, Miami: 20/1
• Aaron Murray, QB, Georgia: 25/1
• Devin Gardner, QB, Michigan: 25/1
• Lache Seastrunk, RB, Baylor: 25/1
• Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson: 25/1
• Marqise Lee, WR, USC: 33/1
• Kevin Hogan, QB, Stanford: 33/1
• Taylor Martinez, QB, Nebraska: 40/1
• Ameer Abdullah, RB, Nebraska: 50/1
• Brett Hundley, QB, UCLA: 50/1
• Stefon Diggs, WR, Maryland: 50/1
• Jordan Lynch, QB, Northern Illinois: 50/1
• Jeff Driskel, QB, Florida: 66/1• Ka'Deem Carey, RB, Arizona: 66/1