We’ve reached the Elite Eight. Last week, SI.com unveiled a 32-coach, winner-take-all bracket featuring candidates who have been linked -- at one point, in some way or another -- to the open Texas job. The idea was simple: Instead of having an eight-person committee conduct the Longhorns’ search to replace Mack Brown, the entire Internet would help decide. This, after all, is democracy in action.
Third-round voting begins now and will end on Tuesday, Dec. 24 at noon ET. The complete results from the second round are listed beneath the latest poll matchups. First-round results can be located here.
Which of the remaining eight coaches is the people’s choice (and the entirely hypothetical Texas headman of the future)? Vote below.
(*Note: This bracket has absolutely no input on Texas’ actual hiring decision. Well, at least none of which we’re aware.)
Ain't Played Nobody Division
Bevo Over Everything Division
West Is Best Except For Texas Division
• No. 5 James Franklin (56.83%) over No. 1 Nick Saban (43.17%)
• No. 3 Jimbo Fisher (53.2%) over No. 2 Gus Malzahn (46.8%)
• No. 1 Charlie Strong (59.08%) over No. 4 Bill O'Brien (40.92%)
• No. 2 Art Briles (64.86%) over No. 3 Kevin Sumlin (35.14%)
• No. 1 Jon Gruden (60.11%) over No. 4 Chip Kelly (39.89%)
• No. 2 Jim Harbaugh (68.52%) over No. 3 Mike Tomlin (31.48%)
• No. 1 David Shaw (66.61%) over No. 5 Pat Fitzgerald (33.39%)• No. 3 Mike Gundy (53.08%) over No. 2 Jim Mora (46.92%)