Baylor announced on Thursday afternoon that the NCAA has closed its investigation into allegations that assistant coach Kendal Briles had impermissible contact with a football recruit. “The facts did not support that any violation occurred,” Baylor athletic director Ian McCaw said in a statement.
The NCAA clearing Baylor, however, did not alleviate all of the program's worries. Privately, Bears officials are concerned about the number of what they consider to be false allegations being made against their coaching staff. Baylor officials contend that the allegations stem from the jealousy of rival schools and recruiters.
“We also are concerned about the unfortunate and seemingly unfair impact unsubstantiated claims can have on a student-athlete or prospect, individual coach and staff as well as an entire sports program,” McCaw said in the statement. “We are committed to due diligence in reviewing and when warranted, investigating, every potential instance of alleged wrongdoing. We are also committed to holding accountable those who make unsubstantiated claims as best we can and will work within the appropriate channels to do so.” Last month, SI.com first reported that the NCAA was looking into potential contact made during Briles’ recruitment of class of 2015 recruit J.W. Ketchum. As SI.com reported, NCAA officials investigated the matter, along with Baylor officials, and found no wrongdoing.