This photo of the Patriots' giant weight lifting record leaderboard recently surfaced. A few things that stand out:
- The quarterback records are held by the immortal trio of Rohan Davey, Kevin O'Connell and Matt Cassel. Physical fitness doesn't appear to be perfectly correlated with performance at that position.
- If Tim Tebow counts as a quarterback, he's a solid bet to break some of those strength -- and maybe even speed -- records. Extenuating circumstances, however, might necessitate (or, rather, accelerate) his conversion to tight end.
- Joe Andruzzi squatted 725 pounds, which is, uh, a lot. In retirement he's put that strength to good use.
- Assuming accurate measurement, Bethel Johnson's 4.26 second 40-yard dash time would have been fast enough to qualify as the second-best NFL combine mark -- trailing only Chris Johnson -- since electronic laser measurement was implemented in 2000. Benching 405, he's not exactly carrying a diminutive frame either.
- It's sort of no fun that 40-yard dash times aren't available for all the positions.