Grand Theft Auto 5 Sets 7 Guinness World Records
Grand Theft Auto 5 continues its run of pop culture dominance, as the Guinness World Records announced yesterday the game broken seven world records:
1. Best-selling action-adventure videogame in 24 hours
2. Best-selling videogame in 24 hours
3. Fastest entertainment property to gross $1 billion
4. Fastest videogame to gross $1 billion
5. Highest grossing videogame in 24 hours
6. Highest revenue generated by an entertainment product in 24 hours
7. Most viewed trailer for an action-adventure videogame
Number three is especially impressive, as GTA 5 sold 11.21 million units in its first 24 hours, generating revenue of $815.7 million, then reached $1 billion by day three. This beats the record of any video game or movie, including The Avengers and Avatar.
In a statement, Craig Glenday, the Editor-in-Chief of Guinness, said:"GTA totally deserves to be recognized as an icon of modern British culture, and we're thrilled to be able to feature the game in the record books. Gaming is no longer a niche hobby, as GTA 5 has proved, and how exciting that it's taken on the might of Hollywood and won! I'm also doubly proud as a Dundonian to welcome this home-grown series back into the Guinness World Records book."