Snap, crackle and pop
Yes, thank you, I am ready for some football. Though, to be honest, three more days wouldn't kill me. I'm not a fan of Thursday night games or any game before Sunday for that matter. It forces the fantasy coach into making decisions on starters several days before you have all the information. Opening the season on a Thursday night is even worse -- preseason injury situations are harder to evaluate since nobody important plays that final exhibition game.
The world champions open the NFL season at home on Thursday night. The Giants have had a surprisingly low-key offseason for a team that won such a historic Super Bowl. They were not even the most talked-about team in New York over the summer; the Jets stole the back pages with the
One more complaint while I'm on my soapbox: late roster moves are a pain in the neck. How many of you kept
• The Chargers have the best and deepest roster in the NFL. Heard that before? That was the story before the 2006 and '07 seasons. This year they will have to overcome some tough injuries right out of the box.
• The quarterback situation in Baltimore was decided by default. Injuries to
• The Cowboys are thin at wide receiver this Sunday, behind starters
• Tampa Bay WR
• What's the biggest mismatch of the week? It might be the New England defense versus the Chiefs' offense. It's not going to be a good week for RB
• I like Packers RB
• Which Brett Favre shows up in Miami this Sunday? I think it's the '05 version -- the one with 29 interceptions. Give him a couple of games to get comfortable in the Jets system. It was a mistake to sit him for the final preseason game.
• Go ahead and pick up RB Rudi Johnson if you want, but don't start him yet. Johnson will be a sub in Detroit, behind rookie
• Chad Ocho Cinco, formerly
• The Ravens offense will get a boost facing the Bengals on Sunday, even with Flacco at quarterback. Wide receivers
• Dallas rookie running back
• The Saints are home, in spite of hurricane after effects. Last year their defense couldn't stop anybody, so that makes Tampa Bay QB
• Miami QB
• Finally, I like Giants QB