A Michigan high school has called off its its varsity football team's season with three games remaining due to concerns over player safety.

Two thirds of the players at Caro High school in Caro, Mich., voted to end the season early, according to a report from minbcnews.com. Caro Community Schools superintendent Mike Joslyn reportedly said three kids had concussions and four or five had suffered season-ending injures.

Caro, which started the season with 25 players on its roster but featured 22 this week, according to a report from MLive.com, will end its season with a 1-8 record. Eight sophomores had reportedly been called up from the junior varsity team. From the report:

“It comes down to safety,” said Joslyn, who played football for Caro and for Alma College. “It has become a perfect storm in a very bad way. We’ve had four or five season-ending injuries. We had two kids quit last week and two more on Monday.

“You do what all programs do by pulling up your best sophomores, but as more injuries hit, you’re asking more sophomores to compete physically against bigger and more mature players.”

Football-centric town of Sayreville divided by lewd hazing allegations

- Chris Johnson

SI Apps
We've Got Apps Too
Get expert analysis, unrivaled access, and the award-winning storytelling only SI can provide - from Peter King, Tom Verducci, Lee Jenkins, Seth Davis, and more - delivered straight to you, along with up-to-the-minute news and live scores.