Votto spent time on the disabled list earlier this season with the same injury and was brought back from a nearly month-long recovery in early June, only to be placed back on the list on Tuesday after missing the team's last two games.
Reds manager Bryan Price told the Cincinnati Enquirer Sunday that the team knew Votto wouldn't be able to get back to 100 percent the rest of the season when it activated him from his initial DL stint. On Tuesday, Price said Votto's recovery won't be short-term and that the goal is to get him back at some point this season, according to Jeff Wallner of Sports Xchange.
The 30-year old's injury troubles have caused a drop in his production this season, with just six home runs in 62 games and a batting average of .255, well below his career average of .310. Votto was 1-for-his-last-11 and 6-for-his-last-37 before going out of the Reds' lineup.
Right fielder Jay Bruce made his first professional appearance at first base on Monday in Votto's absence. Going forward, Cincinnati's first-base duties will be shared by Bruce, third baseman Todd Frazier and backup catcher Bryan Pena, who returned from paternity leave on Tuesday.