Thursday September 11th, 2014

Boston Red Sox chairman Tom Werner said Thursday that his team has "a lot of money to spend" and will use it this offseason to try and make the team competitive again, according to

The Red Sox are in last place in the American League East with a 63-83 record just one year after winning the World Series. 

JAFFE: How Red Sox went first to worst

“Last year, as we all know, was just a dream. This year is a nightmare,” said Werner. “It’s been painful. I was at the game yesterday and it was just not a good experience for the fans, it wasn’t a good experience for the players, it wasn’t a good experience for me. The only thing I can take from it is we are determined to get back to being in first next year."

Werner said the team is also "determined to go into the free agent market and improve the team.”

The Red Sox already signed Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to a six-year, $72 million deal in August, and acquired outfielder Yoenis Cespedes at the trade deadline for Jon Lester

JAFFE: Another season cut short by injury for Dustin Pedroia

Werner said he thinks Cespedes will be "key" for the team going forward, but that Boston needs "front-line pitching talent."

The Red Sox begin a four-game road trip at Kansas City on Thursday night.

- Molly Geary

SI Apps
We've Got Apps Too
Get expert analysis, unrivaled access, and the award-winning storytelling only SI can provide - from Peter King, Tom Verducci, Lee Jenkins, Seth Davis, and more - delivered straight to you, along with up-to-the-minute news and live scores.