Friday April 24th, 2015

Philadelphia Phillies closer Jonathan Papelbon says he will be disappointed if he is not traded by season’s end, especially if the team continues to lose.

The 34-year-old, five-time All-Star can block trades to 17 teams, according to his contract, and is expected to make $13 million in 2015 as part of the four-year, $52 million deal he signed in 2011.

He can make another $13 million next season if he finishes 48 games this season.

"Yeah, I will be," Papelbon said to when asked if he will disappointed if he is not dealt. "If we continue to lose."

Papelbon spent seven seasons for the Boston Red Sox and said earlier this year that he doesn't "really feel much like a Phillie,” adding that the two organizations play a different style of baseball and admitted it has been a tough transition since signing with the team.

Papelbon says he doesn’t regret signing with Philadelphia, which gave him the largest deal ever for a closer.

The Strike Zone Podcast: What Bryan Price got wrong in his rant

“Yeah, it's frustrating when you come here and you expect certain things, and my competitiveness is such a high level, when that doesn't happen and you put so much into it and you don't get what you necessarily want out of it, yeah I say that's frustrating,” he said.

This season, Papelbon has three saves and has only allowed one hit during his six appearances. The Phillies (5-11) are tied for last in the National League East.

- Scooby Axson

SI Apps
We've Got Apps Too
Get expert analysis, unrivaled access, and the award-winning storytelling only SI can provide - from Peter King, Tom Verducci, Lee Jenkins, Seth Davis, and more - delivered straight to you, along with up-to-the-minute news and live scores.