Friday May 29th, 2015

Oakland Athletics outfielder Coco Crisp will go at least the next month without any baseball activity, manager Bob Melvin told reporters on Thursday.

Melvin said a doctor recommended Crisp get an epidural for his neck injury.

Crisp, 35, left a game last week after just three innings because of neck pain and has not played since May 19. Oakland placed him on the disabled list on May 23. 

It was reported last week that Crisp was set to see a neck specialist and could be shut down for an extended period of time.

The outfielder started the season on the disabled list after undergoing arthroscopic surgery to remove a bone spur and chips in his right elbow. He made his season debut on May 6.

REITER: Josh Hamilton is MLB's biggest bargain

In 45 at-bats this season, Crisp is hitting .044 with seven walks and 10 strikeouts.

The A's are hosting the New York Yankees on Thursday.

- Molly Geary

SI Apps
We've Got Apps Too
Get expert analysis, unrivaled access, and the award-winning storytelling only SI can provide - from Peter King, Tom Verducci, Lee Jenkins, Seth Davis, and more - delivered straight to you, along with up-to-the-minute news and live scores.