Tuesday July 7th, 2015

Los Angeles Angels first baseman Albert Pujols said Tuesday that he has talked to Major League Baseball and will participate in this year's Home Run Derby, according to the Associated Press.

Pujols was named an All-Star reserve on Monday. This will be the his fourth time competing in the derby, however his first time since 2009. Pujols has never won the competition.

The 35-year-old Pujols is currently leading the American League with 25 home runs. 

Last month, Pujols said he would take part in the 2015 Home Run Derby if he made the All-Star team and added he thinks it would be his last one

On Monday, Washington Nationals rightfielder Bryce Harper, who also has hit 25 home runs, told reporters he will not participate in the Home Run Derby. Seattle Mariners outfielder Nelson Cruz also recently declined an invitation.

Cubs manager Joe Maddon prefers Bryant, Rizzo skip Home Run Derby 

MLB announced Tuesday that former Cincinnati Reds slugger Ken Griffey Jr. will throw out the ceremonial first pitch before the event. 

This year's Home Run Derby, which has a new format, will be held on July 13 at Cincinnati’s Great American Ball Park. Last year's derby was won by Yoenis Cespedes.

- Molly Geary

SI Apps
We've Got Apps Too
Get expert analysis, unrivaled access, and the award-winning storytelling only SI can provide - from Peter King, Tom Verducci, Lee Jenkins, Seth Davis, and more - delivered straight to you, along with up-to-the-minute news and live scores.