Major League Baseball’s winter meetings are set to begin on Monday, when a flurry of trades and transactions will undoubtedly occur as agents seek contracts for their free-agent players and executives from all 30 teams convene to talk trades and league business. The rumor mill is already churning with big-name free agents such as Zack Greinke, Johnny Cueto and Ben Zobrist still on the market.
See the latest MLB news and rumors below. Check back for updates on the latest scoops.
• The Angels and Dodgers are both interested in signing Chase Utley, who wants to stay in his home state of California after spending the end of last season with the Dodgers, reports ESPN’s Jayson Stark.
• Ben Zobrist has completed two of four scheduled visits with interested teams, including the Mets, Braves and possibly Giants, according to Fox Sports’ Ken Rosenthal. The St. Louis Cardinals are not in mix.
• The Padres are actively shopping starting pitcher James Shields, reports ESPN’s Buster Olney. Shields is owed $63 million over the next three seasons after signing a four-year contract with San Diego before last season.
• Despite heavy interest from several teams in pitcher Shelby Miller, the Braves appear unlikely to trade him, reports ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick.
• The Mets have received several calls about their starting pitchers, Zack Wheeler in particular, but remain uninterested in trading them, according to Anthony DiComo of MLB.com.
• The Pittsburgh Pirates had hoped to trade third baseman Pedro Alvarez, but non-tendered him at the deadline last night when a deal failed to materialize, reports Mike Axisa of CBS Sports. Alvarez is now a free agent.
• The Miami Marlins have non-tendered starting pitcher Henderson Alvarez, reports Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports. Alvarez was the Marlins’ Opening Day starter last season after pitching for a 2.65 ERA in 2014, but underwent surgery on his right shoulder in July.
• The Royals may be priced out of the bidding to retain infielder/outfielder Zobrist, reports Crasnick. The Mets have prioritized signing Zobrist, but are also looking at Dexter Fowler to fill an outfield need, ESPN’s Buster Olney reports.
• Free-agent pitcher Jeff Samardzija may command a triple-digit contract, reports Stark.
• The Nationals, Braves and Dodgers all have interest in Darren O’Day, reports Crasnick. He would like to stay on the East Coast, according to Crasnick.
• The Cardinals have non-tendered catcher Cody Stanley, reports Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Stanley served an 80-game suspension without pay after testing positive for a performance-enhancing substance.
• According to Jeff Passan of Yahoo, Jacob Turner, who was non-tendered on Wednesday, will re-sign with the White Sox for $1.5 million.