Major League Baseball is nearing the trade deadline, as teams have until Aug. 1 to acquire players for the stretch run or trade away veterans to prepare for the future.
Plenty of big names and big organizations are expected to be involved in the coming weeks. The Chicago Cubs, who struggled heading into the All-Star break, could be on the market for some pitching, dangling their young prospects as bait. The Yankees, meanwhile, could be sellers as they fall behind in the AL East race.
Some of the more recognizable names rumored amid the trade block include Andrew Miller, Aroldis Chapman, Carlos Beltran, Jay Bruce and Jonathan Lucroy.
Follow this page to remain up-to-date on the latest rumors from around the league.
• Kyle Schwarber is the top target for Yankees general manager Brian Cashman, but the Cubs have no desire to let him go. (Jeff Passan, Yahoo Sports)
• The Marlins are interested in acquiring pitcher Jeremy Hellickson from the Phillies. (Joe Frisaro, MLB.com)
• The Yankees will likely trade closer Aroldis Chapman within the next two weeks. (Jeff Passan, Yahoo Sports)
• The Royals have claimed right-hander Nick Tepesch off waivers from the A’s and optioned him to Triple-A, the team announced.
• Oakland Athletics pitcher Rich Hill, who has been among the top names as the deadline approaches, had to leave his start on Sunday after a blister on his pitching hand popped. (Susan Slusser, San Francisco Chronicle)
• Despite recently going onto the disabled list, Braves closer Arodys Vizcaino could still be involved in a trade. (Jon Heyman, Today’s Knuckleball)
• Scouts from around the league were in attendance to watch Rays pitchers Jake Odorizzi and Matt Moore, who start on Saturday and Sunday, respectively. (Bill Chastain, MLB.com; Roger Mooney, Tampa Bay Times)
• The Orioles are interested in adding a left-handed reliever. (Rock Kubatko, MASNsports.com)
• A trade between the Yankees and Royals involving Carlos Beltran and Luke Hochevar was discussed earlier this season. (George A. King III, New York Post)