Major League Baseball is nearing the trade deadline. Teams have until Aug. 1 to acquire players for the stretch run or to trade away veterans in preparation for the future.
Plenty of big names are expected to be involved in trades in the coming weeks. The Cubs, who struggled heading into the All-Star break, could be on the market for some pitching, dangling their young prospects as bait. The Yankees, meanwhile, could be sellers as they fall behind in the AL East race.
Some of the more recognizable names rumored amid the trade block include Andrew Miller, Aroldis Chapman, Carlos Beltran, Jay Bruce and Jonathan Lucroy.
Follow this page to remain up-to-date on the latest rumors from around the league.
• Trade talks have started to heat up between the Padres and Orioles that would exchange Melvin Upton Jr. for Ubaldo Jimenez. The trade is not yet close to being finalized as San Diego also wants a prospect in the deal. (Ken Rosenthal, FOX Sports)
• The Texas Rangers are making a serious effort for White Sox southpaw Chris Sale but there no indication if a deal will get done as any sort of trade would likely require Jurickson Profar or Joey Gallo. (T.R. Sullivan, MLB.com)
• The Indians, Rangers, Dodgers, Blue Jays and Nationals have their eyes on outfielder Jay Bruce. (Jon Heyman, Today's Knuckleball)
• The Nationals are among the teams interested in Aroldis Chapman and are unwilling to trade promising young players Lucas Giolito, Trea Turner, Victor Robles and Reynaldo Lopez. *(Barry Svrluga, The Washington Post)
• The Yankees are “aggressively” fielding interest in Chapman. (ESPN)
• The Yankees have discussed cutting Alex Rodriguez and Mark Teixeira if they decide to be sellers at the deadline. (Jon Heyman, FanRag)
• One general manager called the starting pitching trade market “the worst I’ve ever seen it.” Rich Hill, Jeremy Hellickson, Andrew Cashner and perhaps Ervin Santana are the biggest names available, with Chris Archer, Sonny Gray and Julio Teheran not expected to be traded. (Jon Heyman, FanRag)
• One executive said there is a 70% chance Archer is traded to the Los Angeles Dodgers. (Jayson Stark, ESPN)
• With Hunter Pence on the DL, plus Denard Span and Angel Pagan’s injury-prone history, the Giants are exploring the market for outfielders. (Buster Posey, ESPN)
• The White Sox turned down a “king’s ransom” for Chris Sale. (Ken Rosenthal, Fox Sports)
• The Rays are listening on offers for pitcher Chris Archer, but want a “huge” return on their ace. (Jayson Stark, ESPN)
• The Cubs have interest in Josh Reddick of the Athletics. He missed nearly six weeks with fractured thumb but is hitting .301 with six home runs and 23 RBIs on the season. Theo Epstein drafted him in Boston. (Jon Morosi, MLB.com)
• The Indians continue their discussions with the Brewers for catcher Jonathan Lucroy, which may also require Milwaukee to give up some bullpen help. Lucroy is hitting .305 with 12 home runs and 48 RBIs. (Tom Haudricort, Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel)
• The Brewers are keeping their options open as they shop Lucroy to other teams. (Jon Morosi, MLB.com)
• Phillies starter Jeremy Hellickson pitched in front of Marlins president of baseball operations Michael Hill. The Orioles were also in attendance. (Ken Rosenthal, Fox Sports)
• The Giants could seek bullpen assistance from the Brewers' Will Smith. Jeremy Jeffress or prospect Adelberto Mejia could be one of the moving pieces. (Henry Schulman, San Francisco Chronicle)