MLB rumors: News on free-agent contracts, trades and more
The off-season hot stove is starting to warm up with trade rumors and free agency decisions being made.
Yesterday's big news came out of Detroit as Tigers second baseman Ian Kinsler is reportedly not interested waiving his no-trade clause before reaching a new contract with the proposed team. In other American League rumors, the New York Yankees have emerged as players in the Derek Holland sweepstakes that already includes the Philadelphia Phillies and Pittsburgh Pirates.
Keep up to date on the latest MLB news and rumors below:
• The Miami Marlins are in the market for a closer and Los Angeles Dodgers star Kenley Jansen is the one of their targets, according to FanRag's Jon Heyman. The Marlins have reportedly shifted their focus to strengthening their bullpen over starting pitching after the death of ace Jose Fernandez.
• The Atlanta Braves are having discussions for trades in exchange for starting pitching help, according to ESPN's Buster Olney.
• White Sox ace Chris Sale is being shopped around and the Washington Nationals may be among the teams with interest, according to Barry Svrluga of the Washington Post.
• The Pittsburgh Pirates are one of five teams that have inquired about utility man Sean Rodriguez, according to SB Nation's Chris Cotillo.
• Johan Santana is attempting a comeback at 37 years old, according to Cotillo. He plans to pitch in the Venezuelan Winter League in hopes of attracting major league interest. He has not pitched in the majors since 2012.