Down
enlarge shrink
Did Conor McGregor just announce his retirement?
1:20 | MMA
Did Conor McGregor just announce his retirement?
Thursday April 21st, 2016

Get breaking news and SI’s biggest stories instantly. Download the new Sports Illustrated app (iOS or Android) and personalize your experience by following your favorite teams and SI writers.

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones has commended Conor McGregor for “standing up for what he believes his right,” according to Damon Martin of Fox Sports.

McGregor said in tweet Tuesday that he has decided to “retire young,” but on Thursday he released a statement on Facebook clarifying that he was not retired, but instead wanted to focus less on UFC promotion and more on fight preparation.

UFC president Dana White announced Tuesday that McGregor had been pulled from UFC 200 for failing to appear at a pre-fight press conference.

“At the end of the day, business is business and the guy obviously has respect for himself and his talent and fights like this will help fighters in the future,” Jones said. “I respect his willingness to fight for what's right.”

McGregor was slated to take on Nate Diaz at UFC 200 in July.

SI Apps
We've Got Apps Too
Get expert analysis, unrivaled access, and the award-winning storytelling only SI can provide - from Peter King, Tom Verducci, Lee Jenkins, Seth Davis, and more - delivered straight to you, along with up-to-the-minute news and live scores.