The Dean's List
• Before he was a Hall of Fame college basketball coach,
• To be a top-notch college football coach, you must possess a wide variety of traits -- strength, decisiveness, discipline and of course, flexibility. For the third straight year, Georgia football coach
• When it comes to big-time scandals, we always seem to focus on the losers. Their pain and indiscretions are so much more dramatic. But with any conflict, there are always winners. Even the Duke lacrosse scandal had a winner. It's not the Duke lacrosse players (although, they were granted an extra year of eligibility to make up for their lost season), the accuser or the North Carolina justice system, but rather Bryant University. The Rhode Island school, which is currently making the transition to Division I, not only hired former Duke lacrosse coach
• My freshman year, I tried to walk on to my college basketball team. The squad was the worst team in a bad conference, but I still couldn't make it. The odds were too great and I quit before the coach could cut me. That's what makes
• OK, by now you've probably already heard about
• Preseason is a dangerous time for college football programs. Your typical potpourri of garden-variety football Injuries -- ankle sprains, torn ACLs, broken bones and dislocations -- can sidetrack a season before it's even started. But USC has got a more unique set of injuries to deal with. Last weekend, defensive end
• Student-athletes are under a lot of pressure. Kids not old enough to rent cars must dedicate themselves entirely to a sport if they hope to succeed. That leaves little time for sanity and sometimes an athlete, not matter how talented, just snaps.
• There are a lot of things you can fake -- happiness, orgasms, sunglasses -- but money isn't one of them.