PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. -- Top Braves pitching prospect
"The Braves are high on him, and they should be,'' one scout said. "He's going to be a good one.''
"He's definitely got good stuff,'' another scout said. "He's got the ability to spin the curve and a feel for four pitches.''
The mixed reviews on this day notwithstanding, most love the big, 22-year-old right-hander with a fastball clocked in the mid 90s (mostly 93 Wednesday), and excellent curve, which was on display here. Opposing teams say the Braves did right not trading him for
This was easily Hanson's weakest outing this spring. He had trouble controlling his much-praised fastball. "I was just a little bit off today,'' said the mature righty. He said it's "kind of cool'' to hear all the buzz about him this spring, but while he has been mentioned as an outside possibility to make the Braves rotation this spring, he sounded like he expects to be sent to the minors.
"I feel I can go out and get any hitter in the batters box out,'' he said, before adding, humbly, "I know I have a long ways to go and a lot of things to learn to pitch in the big leagues and be successful.''
Here's a list of 33 more young ones who might be good ones. There's a buzz about every one of these guys in spring ...
While the WBC isn't perfect, it's definitely salvageable if they can figure a way to get Team USA players training earlier. It's no coincidence that their players are the ones getting hurt. They were the least-prepared since they don't play winter ball.
Team USA members see the big problem as the large number of off-days.
"There's some serious problems with the WBC setup,'' Jones told the
Jones was probably hurt by the fact that he was 0 for 10 with six strikeouts. But his comments, and a couple other remarks by U.S. personnel, came off as excuses. Next time start working out sooner if you plan to contribute, Chipper.
I know things are bad in Astros camp -- 1-15 at last count, plus ties -- but GM
This isn't the fault of the reporter,
It didn't bother me that Wade denied what was written here. But now that he has signed Pudge for $1.5 million plus incentives, he owes an apology to Footer, who had the professionalism to praise him for the move even after he led her astray. For his own sake Wade should also rethink this strategy, because when you're caught telling big fat ones like this, folks tend not to trust you in the future.
• Team USA is going to Hollywood. But do they deserve it? They were outscored 16-7 by Puerto Rico in two games but had the advantage of playing the Netherlands after losing the first game to Puerto Rico, while Puerto Rico had to face Venezuela in games that counted. The U.S. lost 10-6 to Venezuela in the seeding game, while Puerto Rico lost 2-0.
• Yankees GM
• News flash:
• The Yankees and Mets are lucky to have
• Trivia question:
• One scout on the Padres: "Pathetic ... it's going to be an open tryout with lots of waiver claims.''
• The Pirates'
• There are worries that
• Folks in Florida say the Tigers look pretty iffy. But let's not forget that they have three stars --
• Mets people aren't complaining aloud about
• The Marlins continue to save money. They renewed four players on Thursday at salaries of their choosing, three at the major league minimum. Florida will pay
• Answer on Howard question: one.
• The situation with newspapers is very sad. I enjoyed the
• Best of luck to