Calhoun defends UConn against alleged recruiting violations
For Connecticut coach
Calhoun did not deny the report by Yahoo! Sports -- stating that former guard
Calhoun was not nearly as spirited as he was in a news conference that made headlines earlier this season, when he defended his $1.6 million salary. But he did try to downplay the report, referring to Yahoo! Sports as "a blog" and saying he was "more worried" about Purdue and specifically Purdue guard
Although Calhoun said he had not read the complete report, he became aware of it Tuesday at 11 p.m. and was on the phone by 5:30 a.m. PST on Wednesday with Connecticut athletic director
"As far as we're concerned and I'm concerned, we are here to beat Purdue and I want you to know that. If you vary from that ... you will look back and say, 'I was worried about something that didn't really affect me one way or the other' and yet we let opportunities slip by."
For Calhoun, who has beaten cancer twice, this represents another struggle, though perhaps one of his own making. He reflected Wednesday on his health issues, the death of his father, and coaching in Boston in the mid 1970s, when the city was consumed with racial turmoil. "I have been through a couple things in my life," Calhoun said. "I have learned how to stand up to those things. ... All I know is to go forward, stand up and be counted."
It is hard to find motivational material in alleged NCAA violations, but the Huskies will clearly try. "We trust in each other, believe in each other," said center