It's time to separate the wheat from the sheet, the cream from the crud and the contenders from the pretenders. Well, you get the idea. There's a whole lot of supposed surprise teams (or at least five of 'em) a month into this season. A couple of these teams may continue to surprise. But others will sink to their predicted level, which is a lot lower than where they are now.
Here's a closer look at the early surprises (and you can get more thoughts by following me on
• The Nationals have settled on right-handed phenom
• The best chance for Strasburg to get the $50 million would have been for him to slide all the way down to the Yankees. But a Yankees official acknowledged, "We've got no shot at him."
• Two Rangers people did tell me A-Rod was often calling pitches for his own pitchers, though. (Apparently, he didn't think the Rangers catchers could handle it.) And Rangers manager
• So Sheffield allegedly has "edge," according to Mets GM
• Tigers ace
• More and more,
• The best-case scenario for
• Any day I run into