An ocean of empty seats in Paris, Serena's mockery and more mail
While marveling that
• Yeah, those
Honestly, I can't work up much outrage here. To generalize, the French fans are too quick to boo and whistle. (I like it when they boo players requesting the chair to check a mark; then, even when the player is
My beef (or
• When you're e-mail address is "@us.army.mil" you get special dispensation.
• Dude, you're killing
• My head hurts from all that math logic. And you're asking me a question in French.
• It gives us something to discuss during these early rounds. I have no problem with it whatsoever.
• Consider yourself counted. I liked this back and forth:
It was really a pleasure to have the president come out yesterday and we had lunch, and we had a meeting with all the Serbian players. For us it's really an honor to have him come here and support us. ... We are a small country. Before we were not good in tennis. We did not have a tradition in tennis, but now we became really a force in tennis, and we are all very proud of that, and we are very young, as well. So we have many years to play, and hopefully we will make even bigger success in the future.
• Thanks. I picked Serena as much to make a point as anything else. With the possible exception of her sister, no player makes a greater mockery of conventional tennis wisdom. All the usual factors -- momentum, track record on the surface, recent results, ranking points at stake -- lose their relevance. How many times have we seen Serena lose dismally in a tune-up and then arrive at the major an unrecognizably different player? The critics are within their rights to assert that real champions don't oscillate so wildly. Still, I'd rather a player lose in Istanbul or Charleston and play her best at the majors than vice versa.
• Sorry. I usually try to do my part to stifle workplace productivity.
• New York readers
• Our moles tell us that tennis fans will be interested in the upcoming issue of
• Can we discuss the fact that Nadal qualified for the year-end championships after ONE Slam?!?
This week's Long Lost Siblings: